Learning spoken English is now a fascination for the students of Bangladesh.This online English spoken lesson is about subject verb agreement.Who has problem with sentence making, this Learning spoken English is especially for you.
SUBJECT – VERB – AGREEMENT
Subject – Verb – Agreement is the system how verb is used after subject.
- She is my teacher.
- They are my friends.
There is ‘singular verb’ after ‘singular subject’
- Shahed learns English
- They learn English
- A baby is crying
- The babies are crying.
‘Plural verb’ should be used after ‘plural verb’
- My friend was present in the meeting.
- My friends were present in the meeting.
Singular subjects take ‘plural verb’ if they are connected by ‘And’
- Shahed and Sabbir are good friends.
- Shammi and Jasmin help each other.
But ‘Singular verb’ is required after and if two subjects refers to the same person
- Slow and steady wins the race. (AdÉhp¡u£l¡C S£he pgm qu) z
- Bread and butter is my favorite food.
The + subject + and + subject = ‘Plural verb’
- The teacher and the guest have joined the seminar.
- The principal and the chairman are taking rest.
The + subject + and+ subject = ‘Singular verb’
- The teacher and guest has joined the seminar.
- The principal and chairman is taking rest.
‘Verb’ can be used both ‘singular and plural form’ in case of mathematical calculation.
- 6 plus 3 makes 9 or
- 6 plus 3 make 9.
‘One of’ takes ‘plural noun/Pronoun’ after it but ‘verb’ is singular.
- One of the boys is a good player
- One of them has played well.
- A number of people have visited sabbirsenglishworld.com
- A number of students are learning phonetics.
- The number of people has visited website
- The number of students is learning phonetics.
There is always ‘singular verb’ after the names of countries, persons, Organizations etc even if they end with ‘S’
- John keats is called the poet of beauty.
- James is a popular band singer.
- The united nations rules the world.
There/here takes ‘verb’ according to the ‘noun or pronoun’ after it.
‘Singular verb’ should be used after ‘no’
- No child is cute here
- No advice was helpful for him.
When phrase/Clause/Infinitive is used as a ‘Subject’ then it takes ‘Singular verb’
- To walk is a good exercise.
- Swimming is good for health.
Uncountable noun is always ‘Singular’
- Water is a liquid substance.
- Fifty dollars is a huge amount.
Collective noun Generally takes ‘Singular verb’
- The family lives together.
But ‘verb’ becomes plural after collective noun’ when it is divided.
- The family live separately.