SUBJECT – VERB – AGREEMENT
This grammar tips are about subject verb agreement which are very important to make right sentence. For developing your spoken accuracy as well as solving problems of sentence building,this online grammar lesson plays a significant role.
Subject – Verb – Agreement is the system how verb is used after subject.
There is ‘singular verb’ after ‘singular subject’
- Shahed learns English
- They learn English
- A baby is crying
- The babies are crying.
‘Plural verb’ should be used after ‘plural verb’
- My friend was present in the meeting.
- My friends were present in the meeting.
Singular subjects take ‘plural verb’ if they are connected by ‘And’
- Shahed and Sabbir are good friends.
- Shamim and Zeba help each other.
But ‘Singular verb’ is required after and if two subjects refers to the same person
- Slow and steady wins the race. (AdÉhp¡u£l¡C S£he pgm qu) z
- Bread and butter is my favorite food.
The + subject + and + subject = ‘Plural verb’
- The teacher and the guest have joined the seminar.
- The principal and the chairman are taking rest.
The + subject + and+ subject = ‘Singular verb’
- The teacher and guest has joined the seminar.
- The principal and chairman is taking rest.
‘Verb’ can be used both ‘singular and plural form’ in case of mathematical calculation.
- 6 plus 3 makes 9 or
- 6 plus 3 make 9.
‘One of’ takes ‘plural noun/Pronoun’ after it but ‘verb’ is singular.
- One of the boys is a good player
- One of them has played well.
- A number of people have visited sabbirsenglishworld.com
- A number of students are learning phonetics.
- The number of people has visited website
- The number of students is learning phonetics.
There is always ‘singular verb’ after the names of countries, persons, Organizations etc even if they end with ‘S’
- John keats is called the poet of beauty.
- James is a popular band singer.
- The united nations rules the world.
There/here takes ‘verb’ according to the ‘noun or pronoun’ after it.
- There are many researchers in ELRC project.
- Here is a gift for you.
‘Singular verb’ should be used after ‘no’
- No child is cute here
- No advice was helpful for him.
When phrase/Clause/Infinitive is used as a ‘Subject’ then it takes ‘Singular verb’
- To walk is a good exercise.
- Swimming is good for health.
Uncountable noun is always ‘Singular’
- Water is a liquid substance.
- Fifty dollars is a huge amount.
Collective noun Generally takes ‘Singular verb’
- The family lives together.
But ‘verb’ becomes plural after collective noun’ when it is divided.
- The family live separately.
The first part is considered as subject while there is preposition at the middle point of subject.
- A basket of apples has been sold.
- The color of his eyes is blue.
The following nouns seem to be plural, but they are Singular :
* Civics, economies, politics, physics, ethics, mathematics, athletics, innings gallows, optics, mumps, news, statistics, polities.
- Physics is a subject of science.
- The news was pathetic.
The following nouns are always ‘singular’ and takes singular verb.
* Scenery, furniture, alphabet, poetry, information, equipment, expenditure, machinery etc.
- The scenery attracts the people.
- This information is valuable.
The following nouns seem to be singular, but they are ‘Plural’ and take ‘plural verb’ :
* Aristocracy, peasantry, Gentry, cattle, poultry, perfumery, public, people,
- People of our country are hospitable.
- The cattle are grazing in the field.
The following nouns are always plural and take ‘plural verb’:
* Savings, earnings, vegetables, surroundings, glasses, trousers, riches, aims, politics, wages, dues
- Savings are helpful for future.
- Trousers have earned popularity.
The following nouns can be both ‘Singular or Plural’ and take their respective form.
* Deer, pair, dozen, sheer etc.
- Five dozen are need for you.
- One dozen is needed for you.
If there are (with together with, as well as, along with, in addition to, accompanied by) in any sentence, then ‘verb’ is needed according to first subject.
- Ripon along with shihab has come to S@ifur’s
- Mahmud accompanied by his children has made journey.
In case of “either…. or\neither……. nor” the verb is placed according to last subject.
- Neither Jahid nor his teacher is dishonest.
- Either Selim or his friends were present.
Temperature, distance, weather, time, money, quantity = ‘Singular Verb’.
- The temperature was 38 cc.
- Ten mounds is a heavy weight.